Ford Anglia Photo Prop

Tuesday, May 1, 2018



For Little Tomato's upcoming Chamber of Secrets birthday party, I thought it would be fun to expand on our existing Harry Potter props. Since the party is specifically geared to book 2, Chamber of Secrets, it made sense to add a Weasley Ford Anglia photo prop.
Once again, I used insulation foam for the substrate. For this prop, I 'cheated' with the sketch outline and used a projector to project the image of the car onto the foam and traced the outline of the car. This allowed me to maximize the size of the foam and keep the car's proportions correct without a lot of trial and error.

Once I had traced the car, I used the foam cutter to cut out the overall shape of the car.

I had considered leaving the window intact and putting Harry and Ron in the car instead of utilizing it a photo prop, but opted to cut it out in the end. The foam is too lightweight to utilize it as an outdoor prop (I was considering putting it in a tree outside).


Once the car was cut out, I primed the foam...


And once the primer dried, I started painting.

For this particular project, I utilized acrylic paints. Unlike many of the other party props I have created for our various Harry Potter parties, this was much more stylized painting. I took it in layers, starting with the pristine blue of the car, and building on the layers of rusty browns and silver trim.



The window opening is about 12," so it isn't huge, but it is the best I could do with the size of the foam. I am going to toy with hanging a green sheet behind the car for photos and Photoshopping it into the Whomping Willow or flying...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | MLEKOSHI PLAYGROUND |