Harry Potter Howler DIY

Thursday, May 10, 2018

A Chamber of Secrets Party Needs a Howler
The howler was a relatively straightforward project. It was completed within 1-1/2 hours while Little Tomato was at a playdate.  Instructions & links below.

There are a lot of great tutorials online, I would recommend this one:

But I added a little twist... I wanted mine to yell at you.
Because, you know... it's a HOWLER.

Alterations:


Larger Paper:  The original instructions call for 16 cm x 8 cm paper. I purchased a 12" x 12" red piece of Bazzill paper (a cardstock with a nice subtle crosshatch texture) from a craft store.  I cut it in half to create a 12" x 6" piece of cardstock. The proportions of 2:1 ratio are the same, so the origami folding technique did not change. It just produced a larger howler. This was important, as the sound module needed to be concealed.

Sound Module: I found the sound module HERE. I used a push-button variety, however there is also an 'audio card' version that activates when a card is opened. If you're making a howler that you would close as an envelope and actually open (like THIS tutorial), the card activated module would probably be a better solution. I wanted my howler to be on display opened, so the push button version worked better for me. 


The sound module was attached behind the white letter. I used a 'brochure/flyer paper,' which is a heavier weight, similar to cardstock. The thickness of the paper is important, so you don't see the module behind the letter. The sound module has a short wire that leads to the button. The button has a sticky-tape back. I adhered the button to the top center of the letter, where the top teeth meet the red envelope lip. This area of the howler has a natural crease in the middle, which was a perfect area to place the button and make it accessible.

There you have it, the Howler! 

1 comment:

  1. hahah you're so amazing. I love that it yells, too, as opposed to just looking like a Howler!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | MLEKOSHI PLAYGROUND |