More Dolls

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I love the uniqueness of handmade dolls. For Little Tomato's first birthday, her gift from mom & dad was a handmade doll I bought on Etsy. I was not quite as adventurous with my sewing machine at that time.

Last year, I made a small doll for Little Tomato, which was my first attempt at making my own pattern. However, shortly after that project, husband and I were fully immersed in building our home and the sewing machine gathered some dust.

This November, I stumbled upon a new book, "Storybook Toys" by Jill Hamor, which looked like a great resource to learn how to make more complex dolls (my review of the book is here). Thus, this past month, I have been tinkering around with making doll patterns, and have made a couple as gifts for Little Tomato's pen pals. I still have one more to make (hopefully to be delivered by Christmas!), but I thought I'd share the first two which will be en route to their new homes soon!

The Blonde Ballerina:


 The ballerina has velvety soft alpaca yarn hair in a bun, a satin pink leotard, and satin ballet shoes. Her outfit is complete with a dusty pink tutu with a satin wrapped waistband and bow. I think I will make a different pattern for the leotard in the future, as I don't like how the arms attach to the leotard on this one.


 Banjo Bear Jumper:


The first yarn hair doll I made this month was Libby (see post here). Libby was pretty small for a doll, at about 10" tall. This made turning the limbs inside out very difficult and is just an awkward size- too big for a dollhouse, too small to be a huggable doll. After making Libby, I adjusted my pattern to make a larger doll. Since I loved the outfit, I made the new doll in the same banjo-bear jumper, but her features match the little girl who will have her.



I really enjoyed making this outfit in the larger size. It allowed for more detail in the banjo and the shoes. They are moccasins with 'fur' trim. :)


1 comment:

Proudly designed by | MLEKOSHI PLAYGROUND |