Luna Lion Hat, Part 3: Complete!

Friday, January 18, 2019

Part 1, Supplies: HERE
Part 2, Process: HERE



Hear it ROAR: 



"I'm supporting Gryffindor," said Luna, pointing unnecessarily at her hat. "Look what it does..." She reached up and tapped the hat with her wand. It opened it's mouth wide and gave an extremely realistic roar that made everyone in the vicinity jump."


- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling

Since the last post, I have done some minor tweaking:

I took a hammer to the head. Since the hat was already fairly complete, only minor shaping was possible at this point. So I took a hammer and pounded the foam ball portion of the head (*lightly*) to do some minor additional shaping.

The eyes were REALLY bothering me. They were a tad large, and seemed to be 'glued-to,' rather than 'set-into,' the head... which they basically were. And it annoyed me. So I ripped / cut them out of the head, pounded the eye holes a bit to make them more inset, molded and painted new eyes, and added the new eyes to the head.

I also needed to add the earrings to the ear. It was difficult to find rings large enough to fit the ear, and  I didn't want to pay $$ for large hoop earrings either. I ended up finding silicone rolling pin guide rings at Hobby Lobby that were the right size and thickness. I painted them gold and then attached them to the ear.

Finally, I added a 'Weasley is our King' pin to the opposite ear... because it totally fits. I may move it to my sweater when I have the full costume going, but at the moment it is in the ear. Pin can be found at LitJoy Crate, if they are still in stock, HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | MLEKOSHI PLAYGROUND |