The Many Lives of a Drop Cloth : Floor Cushion Tutorial

Saturday, August 25, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 9'-0" x 12'-0" drop cloth. I had the idea of using the fabric as a canvas for several projects. (Get it, canvas fabric as a canvas? I love puns.)

The first project that came to mind was a floor cushion for a reading area in the learning room.

I love THIS RH floor cushion, but not the price tag...

My final floor cushion made from drop cloth fabric:
Drop cloth floor cushion.

Process:

Materials:
Drop cloth
Thread
Fabric Marker (or if you are like me, grab the nearest Sharpie marker)
Contrast fabric, if desired, for the straps
Stuffing

* I used 1/2" seam allowances.

Fabric Cuts:
Qty. (2) - 25" x 25" squares for the top and bottom.
Qty. (4) - 7" x 26" strips for the edges.
Qty. (8)- 2" x 8" strips for the corner straps, (4) strips for color "A" and (4) strips of color "B."

* If you did not want the front and back of the corner straps to contrast, instead of Qty. (8)- 2" x 8" strips,  use Qty. (4)- 4" x 8" strips for the corner straps.

On the (4) edge pieces, I drew a solid line 2" from the top and 2" from the bottom. These were the top and bottom lines for the alphabet. I then drew a dotted line in the center. I used a ruler to make the lines straight, and to make the dotted line 1/2" long with 1/2" spacing.

I then drew the alphabet on each edge:
Side 1: "a" through "g"
Side 2: "h" through "m"
Side 3: "n" through "t"
Side 4: "u" through "z"

Four edge pieces with letters drawn onto them.
I eyeballed the spacing between the letters and then slowly drew each freehand, adding directional arrows to each letter. I'm sure if you have a Silhouette or a CriCut machine, or used iron-on paper, it would also be effective.

To make the straps, I sewed together two contrasting fabrics, right sides facing, and turned inside out.

If you are not using contrasting fabric, use this method to make the 1" wide straps.

Four edges sewn together, with straps sewn onto the edges.

I then sewed the four edges together (right sides facing), and basted the straps on the right side of the corner seams.

Finally, with right sides facing, I sewed on the top and bottom pieces, leaving a small opening to turn the cushion right side out, stuffed the cushion with stuffing, and hand-sewed the opening closed.

Voila!

This project used about 1/6 of the $22 drop cloth. The rest will be used for upcoming projects.

Unfortunately, I did not take step-by-step photos, but if you have any questions, feel free to post in the comments!

I have also included several great tutorials for varying floor cushion patterns below:

Fiskars Tutorial: This is a more structured cushion (foam insert vs. stuffing).

"Fold, Stitch & Stuff Floor Cushions" via Apartment Therapy

This "Tried and True"cushion from Gerbera Design is round, but oh-so-cute and must be included.


1 comment:

Proudly designed by | MLEKOSHI PLAYGROUND |